This is seriously the most delicious grain/gluten-free cake I’ve made and devoured- ever. It’s moist and light and made from both two favourites: olive oil and chocolate. 🙂 It’s been adapted from Nigella Lawson’s genius, with a better kind of sugar and less of it. Best with fresh fruit from your local farmer. Yum. 🙂
- 6 tablespoons cocao powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar(the recipe called for 1 cup of regular sugar, if you want sweeter try 3/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs
- Whisk together cacao and boiling water in a measuring cup. Add the vanilla. Will be a thickish paste.
- In one bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda and sea salt.
- In another bowl, mix the coconut sugar, olive oil and eggs. Mix with an electric mixture for about 3 minutes on high till the mixture is pale yellow and thick. Reduce speed and add the cocoa mixture. Then add the almond flour mixture and mix till combined.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch springform pan (I used a regular glass 9" square pan) that has been brushed with olive oil. Bake in oven pre-heated to 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes. The sides will be set and the center may look slightly damp, but stick a toothpick in the center- should come out dry. Let cool and enjoy!